Sunday, January 16, 2011

location conundrum

Goal being to move to China...and move to implying a destination, it is becoming more apparent that I am going to have to choose a destination to move to.  Before I started researching I didn't really know this trivial fact, but...China is a large country...the third-largest country in the world according to some.  The United States of America falls either slightly behind or ahead of China in terms of area (depending on whether territorial waters and disputed land between India and China is included).


USA superimposed on China (not including Alaska and Hawaii).

If I were going to move to the USA I would probably notice that there are some differences between New York City and Los Angeles, as well as between Wyoming and New Mexico.  NYC and LA both have larger populations as cities than Wyoming and New Mexico have as states.  Terrain and temperature differences can also be at extremes.  So I need to figure out the factors with which to whittle down my choices of cities to live in.  I hate cold weather and that is one of the top factors I am going to start with.  South of the 35 degree latitude line.  I'm not sure about population.  Chóngqìng, Guǎngzhōu and Shànghǎi are the largest cities will allow for easier travel throughout the country, but cost of living and pollution will also be worse.  A smaller city could be really interesting as well for me, maybe more interaction with the same people.

Ultimately I'm sure any choice will make me happy.  Different struggles, different rewards.  Please chime in with other factors.  Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Tough choice because I think there's be alot to be gained from a smaller village where you may form a intimate understanding of the people and place versus a larger city where there will be more "to do" in a purely entertainment sense.

    I will say though, it didn't take much time of living in New York for me before I came the conclusion that this city really doesn't feel that big. Of course, there's whole sections I've never been and probably never will, but even a major city can feel reduced pretty quickly.
    -e.d.

    ReplyDelete