Saturday, April 14, 2012

minimization

Right now I'm sitting outside a Starbucks like I often do.  The reason I come here is because 1) I work at this particular store so I don't usually pay for drinks, and 2) it is within walking distance of home.  I was at home cleaning out my room and the garage, looking for things to sell or donate.  The idea of minimizing what I own is very appealing; it's always been somewhat a romantic fascination of mine but something I've never done well with.  But...

Yesterday I sold one of my guitars.  Now I only have five guitars.  Upon exchanging the guitar for money with the guy I didn't feel anything like I've felt in the past when parting with possession I value.  This time I just felt a slight exhilaration knowing my physical presence here is that much smaller; I owned that much less shit.  One more thing I never have to think about.  I hope to repeat this feeling multiple times and to promote that I have put all but one of my guitars online, as well as a bunch of camera equipment.

For my upcoming move I had originally planned on taking a 50-liter backpack.  Andrew and I went out with some friends and walked around River Legacy, in Arlington, for a few hours with our bags loaded up with all the things we intend to take with on the move to Southeast Asia.  sidenote:  The last time I moved across the world I took about four times as much stuff. A slight difference is the fact that I had a job (and a place to stay) upon arrival.  This time I have neither, so traveling lighter is mandatory.  Compared to last year I felt 50 liters was a success but I still felt like my bag was oversized.  So...after sitting on the floor of Backwoods, a local outdoors store, with Shawna, Lauren, Andrew and three backpacks strewn about me, I ended up buying a 33-liter backpack with better internal organization.  This blog post has totally strayed from my original intent.

In case anyone's interested, I will write another post later that analyzes how miserable a person can be while lounging around sipping overpriced drinks, contemplating the extreme comfort of their life why that comfort is so discouraging.  I hope you all will let me know if you have any thoughts of your own on this matter!

p.s.  I'll update the post with pics of my new bag later--it's so cute!!

2 comments:

  1. Brian2! You still around? I'm just waking up after a long, dark creative hibernation and I remembered how important your photos and writing were to me back in the day... but the trail seems to have gone cold. Get in touch, if you can =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW it wasn't entirely obvious but I am monos from DevArt.

    ReplyDelete