Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hángzhōu, Zhèjiāng

I believe that this time I have found a city to go to.  Hángzhōu was one of the cities I originally looked up and then somewhat discarded after focusing on dialects.  With the help of some friends and some random people I met on couchsurfing who reside in Hángzhōu I think this will be a good choice.  The climate sounds nice, public transportation looks to be plentiful and also there seems to be a mixture of city life and nature nearby.

City life...imagine me in a city.  I've never really lived in a city.  Oh, also important about Hángzhōu is that there are a lot of schools, so maybe I can even get a job and have a reason to go.

I am hoping to leave between June and August and stay indefinitely...I guess.  Somehow it is already the exact middle of February so I am going to have to step it up two notches.  I've spent the past two and a half hours scouring forums and e-mailing people at universities or language schools about jobs.  China is 14 hours ahead of Central Standard Time so it is 04:22 there right now and I probably won't get any responses for a while.  It's weird to imagine being in a completely new place and have no idea what to expect about anything.

Let me know what you think, any suggestions, etc!

2 comments:

  1. Brian!
    Man, I'm so excited for your journey. It sounds like you're getting this all together. I think that would be a good place to live for you, considering the city life aspects AND nature close by. It sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I think it's really cool that you're moving to China. To even imagine a life there is something challenging because, as you said, you don't know what to expect. But to actually do it takes a great deal of determination and, lets be honest, insanity also plays a role. I hope this works out for you. I'm excited to read your blog when you're there!

    ReplyDelete