Friday, February 25, 2011

jobs

Spending hours a day looking for jobs in China is a hell of a lot more fun than spending hours looking for jobs in America.  Somehow it is exhilarating.  Eventually I have to tell myself to stop saying "one more page" as I wade through pages of job postings.  Half of the stuff I've looked at so far is shit but it's still kind of like opening presents on Christmas.

I've applied for a handful of jobs in Hángzhōu, Qīngdǎo and Tiānjīn.  I will probably have an interview sometime Saturday with a school and their recruiter.  So with the possibility of having a job soon, it is time to get some more last-minute details in order.

What keeps coming to the forefront of my mind has to do with what kind things I will need to bring with me when I go.  Camera, computer and clothing I think are the big things...off the top of my head.  Maybe some important books, nice pens and a notebook to write in.  Some sort of gifts for students.  Medications for travel and various illnesses.  Flashlight, mp3 player, backpack.  What else??  For the amount of visitors I get at this site I don't receive very many comments but I am asking each person who reads this to please list in the comments box some things you would bring if you planned on moving overseas for a year.  I think this will be very helpful and elucidating in general.

Thanks for reading my blog again; I will write more in a bit.

4 comments:

  1. deodorant.
    your favorite kind of underwear.
    tampons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your favorite pillow/blanket (if you have one)
    Your favorite toothpaste
    Extra socks
    Chargers for things (camera)
    Sunglasses (why not)
    Ginger pills

    ReplyDelete
  3. condoms, unless you plan on having-- and abandoning-- a chinese baby. i hear trojan only sells the special asian size in chinatown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Marina about sunglasses. I always end up wishing I had brought a cheap pair when I am somewhere else. Being China though, I bet you will be able to find almost anything you need.

    .sunglasses
    .extra contacts
    .Usher cologne (optional, but probably a good decision)

    ReplyDelete